What is a Life Chapter?
Life Chapters are volunteer organizations of pro-life Christians seeking to carry out the mission of Lutherans For Life: Equipping Lutherans and their neighbors to be Gospel-motivated voices For Life.”
The primary focus is to promote the sanctity of human life by providing “education based on the Word of God.” A secondary focus for many Life Chapters is service that promotes respect for life. Because they have direct contact with congregations and other Lutheran organizations and institutions, Life Chapters collectively carry out the bulk of the ministry of Lutherans For Life.
Life Chapters Are . . .
- Educational and service-oriented frontline organizations working within the Lutheran Church. Life Chapters are not clubs or political action committees.
- Independent of local congregations. Life Chapters are not directly affiliated with or restricted to certain congregations.
- Inter-Lutheran – they are not directly affiliated with a specific Lutheran denomination and do not engage in worship or other ministries appropriate only to congregations.
- Affiliated with National Lutherans For Life and with its state affiliates.
- Composted of five, fifty, or even more members.
- Work in two, ten, or even more congregations.
What do Life Chapters do?
Each Life Chapter has its own character, interests, and areas of expertise. Thus, most Life Chapters engage in some projects that are unique to them and specially suited to their communities. Many Life Chapters engage in most of the following activities:
- Pray for the needs of their members and the millions of people facing life and death decisions or the aftermath of such decisions.
- Make “For Life” presentations to congregations, schools, and church groups.
- Hold meetings, rallies, or forums with educational programs for their members and other interested persons.
- Distribute pro-life information.
- Participate in and/or support pro-life caring pregnancy outreach.
- Urge their church and government leaders to respect and protect all human life.
How do I get involved?
One way to get involved is to join an existing Life Chapter. Contact National Lutherans For Life for the Life Chapter nearest you. Every Life Chapter has a need for something you can provide, whether skills, time, technical advice, or prayer support.
If there is no Life Chapter near you, perhaps one should be started in your community. Who knows, but perhaps God has placed you there for such a task as this? (Esther 4:14)
How do I start a Life Chapter?
If you believe the Lord is leading you to start a Life Chapter, contact National Lutherans For Life. We will send you helpful information on how to get started (free of charge).
Begin to educate yourself on the pro-life issues by reading pro-life materials, speaking with other pro-life people, and attending meetings of other pro-life organizations. Speak with other Lutherans in your community about the life issues and identify those who might be interested in helping you. It is especially important to visit with the pastors in your community to learn where they stand on these issues.
Be assured that, whatever the way in which you are able to help share the For Life Message, the Lord can make you an important part of the ministry of changing hearts and minds and saving lives!
LFL Frontline Zoom Call Information – April 10, 2023